Using Telegraf Modbus Plugin with Influx

Steps to using Influx / Telegraf with a modbus device.
In this example, an Edge Computer (192.168.4.44) and Coupler (192.168.4.29) are used.

1. Shell into the Edge Computer
ssh root@192.168.4.44
  1. Install Influx
docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --name=influxdb --network=host -v influx-storage:/etc/influxdb/ influxdb:latest
  1. Setup Influx using browser
http://192.168.4.44:8086

1. Create default telegraf configuration file
docker run --rm telegraf telegraf config > telegraf_complete.conf
  1. Copy configuration file to local machine using a new terminal window.
scp root@192.168.4.44:/root/telegraf_complete.conf telegraf_complete.conf
  1. Edit the configuration file to suit your device (or use my example attached). I recommend deleting unused sections. Be advised this file is 10k lines, so try to simplify it to make your life easier! Finally, save this file as telegraf.conf.

2. Generate an API token in chronograf and copy/paste it into the telegraf.conf.

3. Copy the telegraf.conf back to the server using scp command

scp telegraf.conf root@192.168.4.44:/root
  1. Run telegraf with the new configuration.
docker run -d --name=telegraf --network=host -v $PWD/telegraf.conf:/etc/telegraf/telegraf.conf:ro telegraf
  1. Monitor the telegraf logs to make sure telegraf is working ok. You should see the following lines for example.
docker logs -f telegraf

11. Data should now be inserted into the influx DB bucket.

Complete tutorial located here:

telegraf.conf.txt (1.8 KB)

3 Likes

Hey @WagoKurt ,
Using the same Telegraf Modbus input plugin, here is another example monitoring the PRO2 PSU (with a communication module).

The configuration looks like this :

[[inputs.modbus]]
  name = "PRO2_PSU"  
  slave_id = 1  
  timeout = "1s"  
  controller = "tcp://192.168.68.52:502"  
  holding_registers = [  
{ name ="Outputvoltage", byte_order = "AB", data_type = "UINT16", scale=1.0,address = [1280]},  
{ name ="OutputCurrent", byte_order = "AB", data_type = "UINT16", scale=1.0,address = [1281]},  
{ name ="OutputPower", byte_order = "ABCD", data_type = "UINT32", scale=1.0,address = [1286,1287]},  
{ name ="Outputlastsecond", byte_order = "ABCD", data_type = "UINT32", scale=1.0,address = [1288,1289]},  
{ name ="Outputlastminute", byte_order = "ABCD", data_type = "UINT32", scale=1.0,address = [1290,1291]},  
{ name ="Outputlasthour", byte_order = "ABCD", data_type = "UINT32", scale=1.0,address = [1292,1293]}  
  ]  

You can import the Dashboard from there :

Hey @WagoKurt , it looks you are using the InfluxDB 2.0.
Even if InfluxDB now embed the Chronograf visuzalition tool, Iā€™m more familiar with Grafana.
Any experience using it with Grafana ?
Thanks

Excellent @quenorha, this makes a lot of sense to monitor a passive device like the Pro2 PS. Thanks for sharing.
I have used Grafana but always with Influx buckets as the database. Lately, I prefer to use the hosted influxdata site (which is free for 2 buckets & 30 days retention) or in on-premise then influx 2.0 in a container since it comes with chronograf built-in. Grafana has better graphics however, so it depends on what is needed.

1 Like